In India, marriage registration is a legal process that involves registering a marriage with the appropriate authorities. It is important to get your marriage registered, as it provides legal recognition to the marriage and is proof of marriage for various purposes such as getting a passport, visa, or applying for government benefits.
Marriage Registration in Punjab
Marriage registration in Punjab is governed by the Punjab Compulsory Registration of Marriages Act, 2012, which makes it mandatory for all marriages solemnized in Punjab to be registered within 30 days of the wedding date. Here are the steps involved in the marriage registration process in Punjab:
- Obtain the application form: The first step is to obtain the application form for marriage registration from the local marriage registration office or from the official website of the Punjab government.
- Fill out the application form: The application form must be filled out with all the necessary details such as the names and addresses of the bride and groom, their age, date and place of marriage, and the details of the witnesses.
- Submit the application form and documents: Once the application form is filled out, it should be submitted to the local marriage registration office along with the necessary documents such as proof of age, identity proof, and proof of marriage.
- Schedule an appointment: After submitting the application form and documents, the couple will be given an appointment date to appear before the registrar along with two witnesses.
- Attend the appointment: On the day of the appointment, the couple and their witnesses must appear before the registrar to verify their identity and sign the register.
- Receive the marriage certificate: Once the marriage is registered, the couple will receive a marriage certificate. This certificate is an important document and should be kept safely as it may be required for various purposes in the future.
Need an Advice from Expert Lawyers?
Call us Today!
Delay in Registration
In case there is a delay in registration, the marriage can still be registered within one year of the wedding date, subject to payment of a penalty. In case of delay beyond one year, the marriage can only be registered with the permission of the district registrar.
Appeal against rejection of Application
If a marriage registration application is rejected in Punjab, the couple has the right to appeal the decision by following the prescribed procedure. Here are the steps that can be taken to file an appeal against the rejection of a marriage application in Punjab:
- File an appeal: The first step is to file an appeal against the rejection of the marriage application within 30 days of the date of rejection. The appeal must be filed with the district registrar or the designated authority.
- Provide reasons for the appeal: In the appeal, the couple must provide reasons for why the application was wrongly rejected and submit any additional documents or evidence to support their case.
- Attend the hearing: After the appeal is filed, a hearing will be scheduled. Both the couple and the marriage registrar will be required to attend the hearing.
- Present the case: At the hearing, the couple will have the opportunity to present their case and provide evidence to support their appeal.
- Decision on the appeal: After considering the evidence and arguments presented, the district registrar or the designated authority will make a decision on the appeal.
If the appeal is successful, the marriage registration will be approved, and the couple will receive a marriage certificate. If the appeal is not successful, the couple may have the option to file a further appeal with the Chief Registrar of Marriages within a period of 60 days from the date of receipt of such an order.
How can a law firm provide assistance?
A law firm in India can assist with marriage registration by providing legal advice and guidance on the marriage registration process and the legal requirements for registration. The services that a law firm can provide may include:
- Preparing and filing the marriage registration application form: A law firm can assist in preparing and filing the marriage registration application form, ensuring that all the necessary information and documents are included and in compliance with the relevant laws and regulations.
- Liaising with government authorities: A law firm can liaise with the government authorities and marriage registration office to ensure that the application is processed smoothly, and any issues are resolved promptly.
- Verification of documents: A law firm can verify the authenticity of documents required for registration, such as identity proof, age proof, and proof of marriage.
- Representation in case of legal disputes: In case of any legal disputes arising during the registration process, a law firm can represent the client’s interests and provide legal advice on how to proceed.
- Assisting with post-registration formalities: After the marriage registration is completed, a law firm can assist with post-registration formalities such as obtaining a certified copy of the marriage certificate and updating relevant records.
Getting justice for our clients is our priority. As they say, “Justice delayed is Justice denied”, Our approach has always been to help our clients to sort out their disputes in a timely manner and amicably.
We are a team of Attorneys, Chartered Accountants and Property Managers, each of whom is an expert in its own field so as to satisfactorily assist you in your property or legal matters.
Our Team of experts strive to provide best possible solution & earn the trust of our clients by sending them legal updates regarding their cases/ transactions in the form of a monthly legal report.
From Our Clients
I am trying my best to put gratitude in words for Mr. Jaspreet Benipal. They way he helped me / guided me for my case in India (having some foreign court connection) is really commendable. He has not only saved my time but money too. My lawyer had been misguiding me since last 2 years but when I consulted NRI Legal Consultants, Mr. Benipal advised me the best way which worked in court. Thank you Jaspreet Benipal ji and team NRI Legal Consultants for all the help. I would recommend people to use your expertise in their legal matters. Sometimes, only a second opinion matters.
If you are an NRI, I highly recommend calling Jaspreet to discuss your legal matters. He is direct and clear in his communication unlike the many other lawyers I talked to India. I felt Japreet was genuine in has advice and very knowledge about the judicial system in India. I suggest don’t waste your time with the other Lawyers that over-promise and under-deliver just to collect fees in India, give NRI Legal Consultants a try.
Excellent service! The team is really knowledgeable, courteous and efficient. Also, they’re helping who cannot afford a lawyer, which is in contrast to other law firms in India as they are genuinely trying to provide legal assistance to everyone. So, don’t hesitate to contact them for any kind of legal assistance. Thank you!
Introduction It has been seen that in many cases the date of birth is entered incorrectly in the passport of an individual and there can be various reasons for such a discrepancy. Due to this discrepancy, an individual faces many problems/difficulties to get it...
What is illegal possession? When a person who is not the lawful/legal owner of a property, occupies that property beyond the agreement timelines and thus refuses to vacate the property,such possession is termed as Illegal Possession. When a person who is not the...
What to do if your passport is not being renewed by the embassy/passport authority or if your passport application is pending with the embassy/passport authority since long period of time?
What is a Passport? Passport is a travel document, usually issued by a country’s government to its citizens. It certifies the identity and nationality of its holder primarily for the purpose of international travel. In India, the passport is issued by the Ministry of...
Contact Us About Your Case
We Provide a legal consultation relating to all your NRI related enquiries in India. This consultation includes a proper review of your legal- enquire/case and a phone call with one of our Attorneys. Our team believes that it is very important to understand our clients before they engage us as their attorneys.